LEAF is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the urban forest. Our residential planting programs help residents get the right tree planted in the right place, offering programs in Toronto and York Region. We are currently seeking an experienced ISA certified arborist with extensive knowledge around planting and care of native trees and shrubs. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional customer service and communication skills and a demonstrated passion for environmental issues.
The lists below outlines the major responsibilities of the position, however additional tasks may be assigned as needed.
- Conduct site consultations with individual property owners following LEAF’s guidelines for tree placement
- Ensure that all necessary information is collected at site consultations and recorded on siting forms
- Advise participants on proper tree care methods, preventative care, pruning, etc.
- Deliver educational messages and materials in person and through phone/email contact with participants
- Conduct health inspections of trees and shrubs previously planted by LEAF
- Conduct minor, on-the-ground, corrective pruning as needed
- Promote LEAF programs and services – assist with community events when needed
- Provide arboriculture expertise/leadership/instruction as needed for Tree Tours, workshops, presentations, etc.
- Degree or diploma in urban forestry or arboriculture
- Advanced arboriculture knowledge and skills
- Advanced knowledge of native tree and shrub species
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service
- Full G license with clean driving record
- Demonstrated ability to work independently while contributing to a team environment
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to environmental issues
- Experience in public outreach/education
- Experienced, ISA certified arborist preferred
(experienced applicants on track to become certified will be considered)
- Access to a personal vehicle
- Experience working or volunteering with a not-for-profit organization
Three month contract with possibility of extension. Hours will vary based on successful candidate’s availability, but will range from 8-30 hours per week. Some weekend and evening work required but scheduling is flexible.
Please email cover letter and resume by Wednesday, April 8th at 5PM to: Melissa Williams, Residential Planting Programs Manager, melissa [at] yourleaf.org. Applications will be considered as they are received. No phone calls please.
LEAF is an equal opportunity employer. We regret that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.