- The Great Toronto Tree Hunt
- LEAF Learning Garden
- Let It Bee
- Maple Leaf Forever Tree
- Urban Forest Demonstration Gardens
- Urban Wood Utilization
- Young Urban Forest Leaders Program
- Youth EAB Ambassador Program
- Past Projects
In 2015, with the support of the TD Green Streets Grant awarded by TD Friends of the Environment Foundation and Tree Canada, LEAF had the opportunity to work closely with the City of Toronto and the Danforth community to develop an Adopt-a-Street-Tree Pilot Program for 142 new street trees planted between Woodbine and Victoria Park.
The objective of this pilot program is to foster a collaborative approach to protection and care of the city’s vulnerable street trees and to develop community tree care guidelines that can be replicated across Toronto. Project partners included Danforth East Community Association, Danforth Mosaic BIA, Danforth Village BIA and Danforth Village Residents Association. Support was also received from Councillor Mary Margaret McMahon and Councillor Janet Davis.
The pilot was a great success, and in 2016, LEAF will continue to work with the Danforth community to further support this flourishing flourishing project with funding from Live Green Toronto, a program of the City of Toronto, and from the Canadian Tree Fund. We will collaborate with the local community to ensure this pilot project is firmly rooted through ongoing volunteer training on street tree stewardship and community engagement.
Additionally, LEAF will work with volunteer tree adopters to plant hardy native perennials in a select number of tree beds on the Danforth. Through this process, we will test the success of native species recommended in the Adopt-a-Street-Tree manual (to be released in spring 2016).
To see photos and highlights of the 2015 pilot project click here.
Media coverage and blog stories:
- Learn about local trees with LEAF's Adopt-a-Street-Tree Danforth walking tour (Insidetoronto.com - July 13, 2016)
- Beautifying the Danforth (LEAF Blog - June 20, 2016)
- Adopt-a-Tree Campaign along Danforth Avenue Launches (Insidetoronto.com - June 16, 2015)
- 7 Tips to Help Newly Planted Trees Survive (Insidetoronto.com - June 21, 2015)
- We Love Danforth Trees (LEAF Blog - June 25, 2015)
- Growing a Community of Street Tree Adopters (LEAF Blog - July 21, 2015)
- Torontonians Get a Chance to Adopt a Street Tree with New Program (Toronto Metro - August 6, 2015)
- Beauty and Shade for Years to Come (LEAF Blog - August 7, 2015)
- Branching Out in my Community (LEAF Blog - September 30, 2015)
- A Brilliant Year for Danforth Street Trees (LEAF Blog - November 23, 2015)
We are looking for volunteers! Join this great team of tree people and help this project continue to be a great success. Volunteers receive tree stewardship training and ongoing support.
To get involved or to get more information, contact erin[at]yourleaf.org.
A very big thank-you to all the volunteers who have contributed to the project so far.
Adopt a Danforth tree and help it flourish:
To find out how you can adopt a street tree, email erin[at]yourleaf.org.