- The Great Toronto Tree Hunt
- LEAF Learning Garden
- Let It Bee
- Maple Leaf Forever Tree
- Urban Forest Demonstration Gardens
- Urban Wood Utilization
- Young Urban Forest Leaders Program
- Youth EAB Ambassador Program
- Past Projects
The LEAF Board Development Committee is currently accepting applications for Board Member positions. See below for terms, qualifications and application procedure. Please note that application deadline is July 31, 2014 and only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in LEAF!
LEAF is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the protection and improvement of the urban forest.
We envision healthier cities where everyone CARES for the urban forest.
As an organization that champions the urban forest, our mission is to:
- Raise public awareness
- Foster a sense of ownership
- Engage diverse communities
- Provide educational opportunities and resources
- Facilitate urban forest stewardship
Role of Board at LEAF
Board members are responsible for the effective governance
of the organization including the vigorous pursuit of its mission and
objectives and adherence to its core values. Board Members act as part of
a team that ensures sustainability of the organization.
LEAF’s board is comprised of up to 10 individuals with a diverse set of disciplines and expertise.
Each member of the Board of Directors is expected to:
- Prepare for and regularly attend bi-monthly board meetings held at the LEAF office in Toronto
- Participate in annual and long range planning for the organization
- Monitor the performance of the organization in relation to the plans
- Read and understand a set of financial statements on a regular basis
- Review, clarify and amend the mission and objectives of the organization as needed
- Develop, amend and approve by-laws and governing policies
- Be a member of at least one committee
- Act in good faith and in the best interests of the organization at all times
- Work as a team member and support Board decisions
The following are skills that we are actively seeking:
- Fundraising expertise and experience
- Extensive non-profit experience
In general, all applicants should demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the community served by the organization
- Commitment to organization’s mission
- Adequate time to follow through on all Board commitments
- Willingness to contribute and to learn
Board Members are expected to consider LEAF a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that LEAF can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, we expect to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Bi-monthly board meetings plus 4 hours of committee work per month.
Two year commitment, elected annually at the Annual General Meeting in January (position could start earlier).
How to Apply
current resume and cover letter that addresses the following:
- your interest and motivation for serving in this position
- your relevant knowledge and expertise (fundraising, community engagement, social enterprise, legal, urban forestry, etc.)
- your experience with non-profit organizations, including past service on boards
- your willingness to contribute the necessary time to carry out board duties
- Email to
- LEAF Board Development Committee
c/o Madhu Mahadevan
- LEAF Board Development Committee
Application Deadline: July 11th, 2014
Please note that only those candidates selected for an in-person interview will be contacted.